Digital Design and Development

What does the course involve?

Preparing you for pursuing a career in web design, UX/UI or web development. This course has been developed in collaboration with employers and businesses to ensure that the content meets the needs of industry and prepares you for employment in the digital industry. This industry is a major source of employment in the UK, with 1.46 million people working in digital companies and around 45,000 digital jobs advertised at any one time. Around 80% of your time will be spent in the classroom with the remaining 20% being spent in an industry placement for a minimum of 45 days. You will study eight digital topics and take exams in Digital Analysis, Legislation and Emerging Issues and The Business Environment, which make up the technical qualification component. You will also complete an employer set project.

Course Outline

  • Knowledge of core 8 topic areas in digital
  • 2 core exams in Digital Analysis, Legislation and Emerging Issues and The Business Environment
  • Employer set project
  • An industry placement with an employer, for a minimum of 45 days
  • Around 80% of time will be spent in the classroom with the remaining 20% being spent in an industry placement.
  • College attendance is 3-4 days weekly

The T Level is made up of four component parts, with the Technical Qualification being the substantial component:

  1. Technical Qualification
  2. Industry Placement
  3. Level 2 English and Maths
  4. Any other relevant industry qualifications deemed appropriate by the T Level employer

How will it be assessed?

  • Work placement for 315 hours
  • Technical qualification 80% (external assessment 2 core exams and Employer Set Project (ESP) set by Pearson Edexcel)
Entry Requirements

Maths and English GCSEs at grade 4 or above.


You could start a career in software and digital design as, for example, a programmer, web designer, IT business analyst, systems designer, software development technician or digital marketer. This qualification will primarily prepare you to move into a skilled job but can also lead to further technical qualifications, higher apprenticeships or a degree course. Job roles include software development technician, junior developer, junior web developer, junior application developer, junior mobile app developer, junior games developer, junior software developer, junior application support analyst, junior programmer, assistant programmer, automated test developer.

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the college allocate places to students?

All applicants will be invited to attend an admissions interview. An offer of a place to study at Cadbury Sixth Form College is made subject to you meeting the College's standard entry grade requirements.

How much does it cost to study at Cadbury Sixth Form College?

There are no tuition fees for 16-18 year-olds. Students are asked to pay a £25 book deposit when they enrol at the college, however this is returned at the end of the two years of study when all books and resources have been returned to the college. Some subjects will offer field trips which may impose some additional costs, however these costs will be kept to a minimum and these field trips are not compulsory.

When does enrolment take place?

Enrolment takes place from GCSE Results Day. Further details about enrolment and a date/time for your individual appointment will be sent to you in a letter over the summer holiday. Enrolment takes on average 1-2 hours.

Applying at Cadbury Sixth Form College couldn't be easier Apply Online